With 50 exhibit buildings, countless artifacts, and 66 primary exhibits in the mine yard, you can spend from a couple of hours to an entire day lost in the unfolding story.
GENERAL ADMISSION INCLUDED WITH THE PRICE OF THE UNDERGROUND TOUR TICKET.
Tour guides lead you 100 feet into the Orphan Girl Mine to see the original shaft station. On this all walking tour, guests will view one of the few exposed veins in North America that can be seen by the public as well as various pieces of equipment that were used in underground mining.
- Adult Ages 18 - 64
- Senior Ages 65+
- Youth Ages 5 - 17
- Member Must have a valid membership code
See the original shaft station, touch the rock, and hear the stories of miners!
WMM is currently hiring staff for the 2021 season. Underground Tours will start in April 2021.
Underground tour availabilities will be added as staff is hired and scheduling is determined.
Tour occupancy is limited to 6. Due to COVID-19, larger groups cannot be accommodated until further notice. Face coverings will be required on the tour. Must be at least 5 years of age to take tour.
Venture 100 feet underground to see the original shaft station and the Orphan Girl vein, one of the few exposed veins in North America that can be seen by the public. The tour guides lead you through the drift, sharing stories as you venture 100 feet into the 2700-foot-deep Orphan Girl Mine. Many other surprises wait for you at the 100-foot level.
What to Expect:
- The Orphan Girl 100-foot level tour takes you to the original workings of the mine. Mud is likely.
- This tour is an all walking tour.
- Visitors are fitted with miners’ hard hats and cap lamps. The cap lamps are the only lights underground except for two, which are used to highlight the shaft to the water. All equipment is sanitized between tours.
- The mine workings are not ADA compliant and walking 180 feet of entrance ramp is ordinarily required; however, visitors with limited mobility may be accommodated for much of the tour. There is a 22% slope although there are no stairs.
- ANY participant has the option to turn around at any time.
- GENERAL ADMISSION IS INCLUDED WITH THE PURCHASE OF AN UNDERGROUND TOUR. Guests may tour the 22+ acres of Museum prior to or after their guided tour.
What to Bring:
- Closed-toed walking shoes and light jackets are recommended.
- Face coverings are required. The gift shop has some available for purchase.
- Members must provide proof of membership at check-in.