With 50 exhibit buildings, countless artifacts, and 66 primary exhibits in the mine yard, you can spend from a couple of hours to an entire day lost in the unfolding story.
Underground Mine Tour
General Admission is included in the admission price of the underground tour during the regular season.
All guests must sign a waiver in order to participate.
Service animals are welcome.
- Adult Ages 13 - 64
- Senior Ages 65+
- Youth Ages 5 - 12
- Member Must have a valid membership code
- Age 4 and below Not Available
See the original shaft station, touch the rock, and hear the stories of miners!
Staff highly encourages guests to purchase your underground tour tickets in advance.
Guests under the age of 5 are not permitted on the tour.
Venture 100 feet underground to see the original shaft station and the Orphan Girl vein, one of the few exposed veins in North America that can be seen by the public. The tour guides lead you through the drift, sharing stories as you venture 100 feet into the 2700-foot-deep Orphan Girl Mine. Many other surprises wait for you at the 100-foot level. Be sure to allow extra time to explore the rest of the Museum, 22+ acres, as it is included in the price of your underground tour ticket. Must be at least 5 years of age to take tour.
- The Orphan Girl 100-foot level tour takes you to the original workings of the mine. Mud is likely.
- The mine is a constant 45 to 50 degrees year-round.
- This tour is an all-walking tour. Close toed shoes are preferred.
- Visitors are fitted with miners’ hard hats and cap lamps. The cap lamps are the only lights underground except for two, which are used to highlight the shaft to the water. All equipment is sanitized between tours.
- The mine workings are not ADA compliant and walking 180 feet of entrance ramp is required; those with limited mobility may be accommodated for a portion of the tour.. There is a 17% slope that guests must walk to get into and out of the mine although there are no stairs.
- ANY participant has the option to turn around at any time.
- GENERAL ADMISSION IS INCLUDED WITH THE PURCHASE OF AN UNDERGROUND TOUR TICKET. Guests may tour the 22+ acres of Museum prior to or after their guided tour as time permits. If you are on the last tour of the day, please arrive early to explore the Museum as the Museum will be closed at the conclusion of your tour.
- All tours are weather dependent. Full refunds will be issued if tours are cancelled due to weather.
- Members must provide proof of membership at check-in.
- Animals are not permitted on Museum grounds. Service animals are welcome.
- Tour space is limited due to required equipment and space limitations.
What to Bring:
- Closed-toed walking shoes and light jackets are recommended.
- Food and drink are not permitted on the underground portion of the tour. Water is permitted.
After purchasing tickets online, a link to our waiver system will be sent to the guest providing the reservation information. All guests must sign a waiver in order to participate. Parents or guardians must sign for all those under the age of 18.
Tickets are non-refundable. Tours can be rescheduled or a gift card can be issued for cancelled tours up to 48 hours prior to scheduled tour time. Please see link in your confirmation e-mail.